Date:      Thu, 7 May 2015 11:03:49 +0530
From:      Avinash Sonawane <rootkea@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   BCM4313 Wireless LAN Controller in FreeBSD 10.1-RELEASE

Hello!

I am pretty new to BSD world <BSDn00b here!>. I just installed FreeBSD
10.1-RELEASE on my system.

# uname -a
FreeBSD titanic.rootkea.me 10.1-RELEASE FreeBSD 10.1-RELEASE #0
r274401: Tue Nov 11 21:02:49 UTC 2014
root@releng1.nyi.freebsd.org:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC  amd64

# pciconf -lv | grep -B3 -i wireless
    subclass   = HDA
none3@pci0:18:0:0:    class=0x028000 card=0x00101028 chip=0x472714e4
rev=0x01 hdr=0x00
    vendor     = 'Broadcom Corporation'
    device     = 'BCM4313 802.11b/g/n Wireless LAN Controller'

I have also installed the port net/bwn-firmware-kmod using make install clean.

I have also made changes to /boot/loader.conf as suggested in the
Handbook. Here is my /boot/loader.conf
# cat /boot/loader.conf
if_bwn_load="YES"
wlan_wep_load="YES"
wlan_ccmp_load="YES"
wlan_tkip_load="YES"

But now I am confused about the next step.
According to handbook it should be # ifconfig wlan0  create wlandev ath0 [1]
I have no idea what to write in place of ath0. So I tried bwn and
bwn0. But both the times system said
"ifconfig : SIOCIFCREATE2 : Device not configured"

So how do I access wireless in my FreeBSD box?

PS- On surfing the net I stumbled upon using ndisgen to install the
BCM4313 driver [2]. But I would really appreciate if there is any
other way to natively install the driver on FreeBSD instead of
converting the WINDOWS(R) driver.
Or is this the only way?

Please help.

Links: