Date:      Mon, 8 Dec 2003 10:37:27 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Jan Grant <Jan.Grant@bristol.ac.uk>
To:        Ryan Moe <ryan@say-10.net>
Cc:        kde-freebsd@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: x11/kde3 and libglut error

On Sat, 6 Dec 2003, Ryan Moe wrote:

> bsdsys@example.com wrote:
>
> >Hello. I'm using FreeBSD 4.8-RELEASe p14. I'm trying to install kde3 on my
> >system and get this error
> >
> >/usr/libexec/elf/ld: cannot find -lGL
> >*** Error code 1

> I believe the problem lies with XFree86-4-libraries.  I had the same
> problem and portupgrade -f XFree86-4-libraries followed by portupgrade
> -f libglut fixed it for me..

Are either of you using the nvidia-driver port? If so, it puts GL libs
in place which break this build. Fortunately, it keeps the old libraries
nearby, so rather than a full rebuild of the XFree86-4-libraries, you
can pkg_deinstall nvidia-driver, do the build, then reinstall
nvidia-driver. Much quicker. Incidentally pkgtools.conf can be taught to
do this for you.

"No generalised law is without exception." A self-demonstrating axiom.