Date:      Sun, 1 Apr 2001 23:47:32 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Alex Charalabidis <alex@wnm.net>
To:        jesse reynolds <jesse@va.com.au>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: can FreeBSD apply security updates without making world?

On Mon, 2 Apr 2001, jesse reynolds wrote:

> Hi folx
>
> I'm having trouble working out how to automatically install the
> latest security patched versions of server software (eg BIND).
>
> I would have thought there'd be a way of getting the latest port, or
> the latest package if it's available, and installing it.

FreeBSD security advisories include links to replacement packages for the
insecure components if it's feasible to simply replace them.

> However the problem with ports is that you virtually have to upgrade
> your OS to the very latest version in order for the latest port to
> actually build. (not always the case, but mostly).

Rarely the case, actually, though you might need an update package for the
ports collection itself.

> what about packages, is the way to go to download a package for the
> OS version you're running (eg FreeBSD 3.3-RELEASE or 4.1-RELEASE) and
> install it over the top of what you've got?

For packages, you ought to remove the old package before installing the
new one; for ports, after a successful 'make,' pkg_delete or 'make
deinstall' the old version before your 'make install.'

> What about existing config files? Will installing new packages over
> the top of already installed ports "just work", or will it require
> backing up all data/configs and fiddling around with it afterwards?

Depends how old your previous installation is. If you're forced to upgrade
from v1.1 to v2.2, of course you have to reckon with config changes. I'd
back up anyway.

hth

-ac