Date:      Wed, 28 Nov 2001 14:39:13 +0300
From:      Vlad Skvortsov <vss@smarts-gsm.ru>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   route add <host> -interface

	Hello !

	[Please CC: any answers back to me, I'm not on the list !]

	I'm trying to set up a connection with our peer using sbni adapter
(http://www.granch.ru). The specific of the situation is that ISP routes a
block of 4 ip addresses to our router via modem line and I have to forward
one of these addresses to peer.

    ISP				cisco
==========              ===========================
1.2.3.4  | -- modem --> | 1.2.3.5 | | 192.168.1.1 | -- ethernet -->
==========              ===========================

                Internal router                     Peer
      ===============================            ===========
----> | 192.168.1.2 | | 192.168.2.1 | -- sbni -> | 2.3.4.1 |
      ===============================            ===========

	ISP forwards a block of addresses, say, 2.3.4.0/30 to 1.2.3.5. Cisco
router forwards them to some internal servers. My task is to forward one
address, 2.3.4.1, to peer.

	The problem is that I cannot setup internal router to properly
forward this address to peer. Peer cannot set 192.168.2.x address on his end
of sbni interface (windows there ...). So I configure my end this way:

	# ifconfig sbni1 192.168.2.1 netmask 0xffffffff
	# route add 2.3.4.1 -interface sbni1

	Pinging 2.3.4.1 fails with redirect FROM MY END 192.168.2.1
(redirected to 2.3.4.1). When I start exploring the situation, it reveals
that ARP table contains record with MY MAC address and IP of PEER. When I
see netstat -nr output I discover that there is an entry containing PEER's
ip address and MY ip address (though with proper interface specified).

	Is this a bug in sbni driver or is this a misbehaviour of freebsd
route add command ? I run FreeBSD 4.2.

--
Vlad Skvortsov, vss@smarts-gsm.ru, vss@high.net.ru