Date:      Tue, 26 Mar 1996 12:31:04 -0800 (PST)
From:      Annelise Anderson <ANDRSN@HOOVER.STANFORD.EDU>
To:        terry@lambert.org
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: -questions etiquette

Terry Lambert writes, in reponse to a question on PGP:

>I'll answer that one:

>I don't know, I don't use PGP; I think it's silly without a recognized
>key authority.

I think key authorities will come into being if there's a market
demand for them.  If I understand correctly, there are only about
22,000 keys currenly listed on key servers.  The demand for a reliable
authority could arise from corporations wanting to provide reliable
keys for people ordering from them.  Meanwhile it's not clear that
there are major problems with the current distributed system.

>That aside, I think that the newest version was reported to compile
>without changes; perhaps you should update your sources?  It might
>get you running code, even if it doesn't make the port work.

I have the latest version, from MIT which is probably as good a place
as any.  I downloaded it twice (and got several difference sources,
compressed in different ways), and also let the port go out and get
the distribution files.

The experience with all of these is the same.  On 2.1 they do
compile (using the port), but the when run the program produces an error when
trying to decrypt a file that says  "Error: Nested data has unexpected format.
CTB=0x75."  The number after CTB= varies depending on the file
encrypted.

Actually the program can be compiled without using the port on 2.1 by
commenting out the lines in /usr/include/sys/types.h relating to lseek,
whose type conflicts with zipup.c, or by changing the type in types.h
from long to int or vice versa, I forget which it was.  However the
result is the same.

The program does compile using the port on 2.0.5.

I sent a note to the maintainer of the port, ache@FreeBSD.ORG, but I
have not heard from this person, if in fact this is a person.

Actually I would like to upgrade the office system from 2.0.5 to 2.1,
but I'm reluctant to do so when 2.1 seems to have these peculiar
problems.

Annelise

>					Terry Lambert
>					terry@lambert.org