Date:      Fri, 27 Aug 1999 00:12:35 +0930 (CST)
From:      Jeff Baker <Jeff.Baker@ACADHOTLINE.net.au>
To:        Mark Murray <mark@grondar.za>
Cc:        lexander Langer <alex@cichlids.com>, stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Newbee

Hi Guys,
        Pardon me for jumping into your emails.....The basic concept of your
trail was spot on.

Where I started:
       -  I have very little knowledge of unix.
       - I wanted to set up a net server.
        - I was concerned about using NT (which I use on my desktop)
        - I had some old 486 pc's which where gathering dust.
        - Just how hard could it be to setup??

What I did:
        - Idownloaded several directories from freebsb 2 days ago
        - I downloaded lots of html & other docs inc the handbook.
        - I started reading....
        - I screwed up the install / config a couple of times
                (ie didn't read fast enough and / or assumed defaults would
work)

Where I'm at
        - stuffed if I know..
        - I can boot either DOS or FreeBSD on the machine.
        - I have set up a couple of user names
        - I went thru a couple of docs which helped me decide on some IP
settings etc.
        - still not sure how to check if my ethernet card is being
recognised...did I get the IRQ correct etc etc?
        - I'm now looking for more docs on how to set up the web server.

 My Questions:
        - How do I know what to do next
        - Do I really have to read 100's pages of jibberish to try & figure
out what to do?
        - is there a short version of a setup guide (with refs to more info
if required)
        - do I really have to understand all these terms / acronyms  etc to
set up a web server.....
        - While MS bloatware has bugs, requires heaps of resources, prob not
secure etc etc.....at least it is
           easy to install and get setup, even if a user doesn't know what
they are doing (and there are lots of
         'how to' docs avail.if required.) FreeBSD can be the next OS from
what I have seen, if only us meere mortals could         install & set it
up.....

        Did I forget to download a 'magic' doc?  Please tell me I did

        I'll get back to my downloading / reading and keep telling myself
its not that hard, its not that hard, its not that hard, its not that hard.....

Commentrs appreciated, advise very welcomed
Regards
Jeff

                             Australian CAD HOTLINE
                              HELP when YOU need it.

            1902 983 170 for  ACAD R12/R13/R14, Mech DeskTop
            1902 963 600 for  ACAD LT1/2/95/97, ASketch & Others

                         http://www.ACADHOTLINE.net.au