Date:      Sat, 27 Oct 2001 14:20:22 -0700
From:      Albert Kinderman <albert.kinderman@csun.edu>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   mount: specified device does not match mounted device

I admin, but do not own, a box that was needed for another task.
Someone copied the contents of the scsi drives to ide drives,
which were placed in a new machine.

When booting on the new machine, the root device is not found
since the boot sequence is looking for the scsi drives.  From the
mount root prompt, I can point the boot to /dev/ad0s1 and the boot
proceeds to single user mode.  None of the devices
/dev/ad0s1a,c,e,f exist so I cannot mount /usr and /var, but
disklabel shows the partitions as existing.  When I try to
MAKEDEV, it fails because the file system is read only.

If I try to remount / on /dev/ad0s1 with mount -u, I get the
message:
/dev/ad0s1 on / :specified device does not match mounted device

however, mount shows / is mounted on /dev/ad0s1

If I try with /dev/ad0s1a, mount returns file does not exist.

Any suggestions?

Al
--
Albert Kinderman      Department of Management Science
       California State University, Northridge