Date:      Sat, 23 Nov 2002 16:55:11 -0800
From:      "Freddie Cash" <fcash@ocis.net>
To:        "Anthony Atkielski" <anthony@freebie.atkielski.com>
Cc:        freebsd-advocacy@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD on the desktop (was: TheRegister article on Hotmail)

On 23 Nov 2002 at 22:35, Anthony Atkielski wrote:
> Freddie writes:
> > Actually, they aren't.

> Actually, they are.  Two entirely different codebases, last time I looked at
> the code.  The similarity is in name alone.

> > OE is nothing more than the mail engine for
> > Outlook, and Outlook is nothing more than a
> > PIM wrapper around OE.  They are one and the
> > same, just with different feature sets.

> Unless both products have been rewritten from scratch in the past 36 months,
> this is completely untrue.

As of Outlook 2000, you cannot install it without first installing OE
5.  And if you uninstall OE 5, then Outlook 2000 will not run.  I
haven't tried Outlook XP.  I went through this whole rigamarole two
weeks ago as I set up my helpdesk station.  I hate OE with a passion,
and Outlook only slightly less, but have to run Outlook for the
helpdesk.

I installed Office 97 with Outlook.  OE 5 was installed along with it.
I uninstalled OE 5.  Outlook gave some weird errors that I ignored.  I
tried to install Office 2000 with Outlook.  The installer installed OE
5 again.  I uninstalled OE.  Outlook wouldn't start.  Upgraded to IE 6
with OE 6.  Tried to uninstall OE 6 and the installer popped up saying
that OE cannot be installed as Outlook 2000 depends on it.

Try this on your system.  I've fought with OE/Outlook and have come to
the conclusion that OE is the mail engine in Outlook.  There's no other
explanation for it that I can think of.

Cheers,
Freddie
fcash@bigfoot.com