Date:      Fri, 05 Mar 2004 21:43:24 +0100
From:      "Devon H. O'Dell" <dodell@sitetronics.com>
To:        Marina Brown <mbrown@btnaccess.com>
Cc:        freebsd-advocacy@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD Most wanted

Marina Brown wrote:

>On Friday 05 March 2004 01:09 pm, Johnson David wrote:
>

>>On Thursday 04 March 2004 10:15 pm, Daniela wrote:
>>

>>>I'm not speaking of your average code, I'm speaking of high-speed
>>>assembly language programs.
>>>

>>Looking back on this thread, I confirmed my memory that it was somewhat
>>on topic with the applications that keep people from dumping Windows.
>>When I look around at what people are using on Windows here at work, I
>>don't see any high-speed requirements. Intead I see Word, PowerPoint,
>>Outlook, etc. These don't need the incremental speed increase that hand
>>coded assembly gives you.
>>

>IF you want to have more people using FreeBSD - i think the way to do that
>is not to seek to have more windows like applications - but to try to educate
>people in using open source programs.
>
>It takes some time to get someone who is used to mcdonalds food to enjoy
>a fine curry.
>
>Marina

I disagree. If you want more people using FreeBSD, you will need to
either offer or outsource commercial support and find hardware vendors
who ship it as the default operating system. This may require some of
the above, but it is the final requirement.

And the OOo suite works (almost) just as well as Office.

Devon