Date:      Fri, 20 Jul 2012 18:28:44 +0200
From:      John Marino <freebsdml@marino.st>
To:        Alfred Perlstein <alfred@freebsd.org>
Cc:        freebsd-threads@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Fingerpointing about broken Ada tasking starting with FreeBSD 9.0 threading

On 7/20/2012 17:08, Alfred Perlstein wrote:

> There is no big picture unless you take the time to diagnose what
> is happening.   There is a bug somewhere.  Talking about "big
> picture" doesn't mean anything.
>
> The bug could be due to any of the reasons you described, or due
> to other reasons.  What needs to be done is some investigation into
> what is triggering the bug and then determine if it's a bug, false
> positive, corruption or something else.

I agree, and I'll try.  What I was trying to get at is *if* the problem
really is with FreeBSD, there should be more than just me looking into
it given the implications of what that would mean.  The worst case
scenario is that this is 100% a FreeBSD problem, and that would have
some fallout.  In my previous work, we had to map out every possibility
and plan for it -- we didn't have the luxury of determining the fault
and then coming up with a plan.  That mentality is carrying over probably.

> It sounds like you're advocating for just removing an assertion without
> proving it's a false positive.  I don't think that will work out unfortunately.

Not at all, but there was a serious consequence of this assertion and
it's not a pre-production assertion either. I don't have any
preconceived notion of the cause of the fault nor the solution.  My mind
is wide open at this point.
John