Date:      Sun, 1 Dec 1996 15:10:49 +0100 (MET)
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.de>
To:        deischen@iworks.InterWorks.org (Daniel M. Eischen)
Cc:        FreeBSD-current@FreeBSD.ORG (FreeBSD current users)
Subject:   Re: Corrupted CVS updates

Daniel M. Eischen writes:

>> I've been having the devil's own problems with ctm and cvs lately.
>> For some reason, cvs-cur 2741 wouldn't apply (md5 checksum error in
>> pci.c, couldn't force), so I spent 30 hours re-rolling my tree from
>> cvs-cur 380a.  Then I updated my build tree, and make world has just
>> died while running sys/conf/newvers.sh.  On closer examination, this
>> file contains:
>>
>>   #     @(#)newvers.sh  8.1 (Berkeley) 4/20/94
>>   <<<<<<< newvers.sh
>>   #        $Id: newvers.sh,v 1.22 1995/11/10 21:52:59 joerg Exp $
>>   =======
>>   #     $Id: newvers.sh,v 1.29 1996/11/26 06:55:35 ache Exp $
>>
>>   TYPE="FreeBSD"
>>
>> Now it definitely didn't do that a couple of days ago, and rcsdiff
>> shows that that's not what's in the repository, either.  Of course, my
>> update list has long since scrolled off the top of the screen, so I
>> can't check the error messages, but this happens often enough (about
>> every two months) to be annoying.  Where does this come from?
>
> Have you applied any patches or changes to sys/conf/newvers.sh that
> haven't come from the CVS tree?

Yes, indeed, and that seems to be the problem.  CVS appears to have
changed in this respect.  I'm just putting my trees together, and I get

> # cvs update -P -d
> cvs update: Updating .
> ? bisdn
> ? Make.log
> cvs update: Updating conf
> M conf/files
> RCS file: /src/cvs/src/sys/conf/newvers.sh,v
> retrieving revision 1.28
> retrieving revision 1.29
> Merging differences between 1.28 and 1.29 into newvers.sh
> rcsmerge: warning: conflicts during merge
> cvs update: conflicts found in conf/newvers.sh

Well, it may be a "warning", but it left this junk behind as well.  I
don't believe that's correct: it should ignore changed files.

Here's a second one:

> cvs update: Updating i386/include
> cvs update: i386/include/bisdn_ioctl.h is no longer in the repository
> cvs update: i386/include/bisdn_isdn.h is no longer in the repository

I believe it's correct to remove files that have been removed from the
repository; that's what the -d option is for.  But these two files
were never part of the repository, and it's going to be a real pain to
have to read them in again every time.

> I've had the same problem when testing out some of Justins aic7xxx
> driver changes and hacking around a little on my own.  When doing
> a "CVS update -P -d src", I would also stop in the middle of a
> make with errors caused by the same CVS "diffs" you show above.
> I scanned the CVS man page, but ended up deleting the affected
> files, and doing another update which fixed the problem.

That's OK if you don't need the mods.  I do.  I haven't sent in a bug
report yet, because I don't know if this is a bug or a feature, but
I'd like to find out pretty soon.

Greg