Date:      Mon, 1 Jun 2009 01:16:58 +0200
From:      Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>
To:        "Graham Bentley" <admin@cpcnw.co.uk>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: UK Currency Symbol in 7.2 Console

Hi Graham,

I never thought that I could help you, but playing around a bit
on the keyboard seemed to open up an interesting obervation:

				- =A3 -

			A working Pound sign!

On Sun, 31 May 2009 21:10:25 +0100, "Graham Bentley" <admin@cpcnw.co.uk> wr=
ote:
> Sorry to keep banging on about this but does anyone actually
> have uk pound signs working in 7.2? What font and keymap
> are you using?

Accidentally - because I never intended it - I have a
UK Pound sign: =A3

Settings:

	LC_ALL is set to en_US.ISO8859-1

In /etc/rc.conf:

	keymap=3D"german.iso"
	keyrate=3D"fast"
	font8x14=3D"iso-8x14"
	font8x16=3D"iso-8x16"
	font8x8=3D"iso-8x8"

In X:

	Nothing changed, except stuff in xorg.conf that hasn't
	something to do with fonts 'n stuff.

Tested setting:

	Editor GNotepad+ (port gnotepad+, run as gnp)
	Keypress: Alt-Gr + Shift + 3
	Shift + 3 -> =A7
	Alt-Gr + 3 -> =B3
	Alt-Gr + Shift + 3 -> =A3

This is, as I mentioned before, obviously not intended. I'm
using german settings for the keyboard. Note that I don't use
-15 (instead of -1) so I don't have the Euro currency symbol
in gnp, but I have it in OpenOffice (Alt-Gr + E). Maybe it
works with -15, too.

Further testing:

	Works in X-Terminal (standard xterm)
	Works in Sylpheed (Gtk 2)
	Works in GNotepad+ (Gtk 1)
	Works in OpenOffice 3.0.0 M9/9358 (german version)

Maybe you want to try it.

Here are some Pound signs for copy & paste: =A3 =A3 =A3 =A3 =A3 =A3 =A3 =A3=
 =A3.
Use them wisely and in peace. :-)

> And, what actually is the process for reporting
> bugs or getting help with problem like this.

I don't think it's a "problem", it's just a "strangely
appearing circumstance of misconfiguration". :-)

--=20
Polytropon
>From Magdeburg, Germany
Happy FreeBSD user since 4.0