Date:      Sat, 9 Feb 2002 11:24:24 +0100
From:      Rogier Steehouder <r.j.s@gmx.net>
To:        Skull Crusher <skull@slayer-domain.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: how to clear the screen while logging off

On 08-02-2002 18:52 (-0800), Skull Crusher wrote:
> Hello,
> Is there a way to clear the screen as you log off besides just typing
> CLEAR and then type EXIT
> What I would like it to look like is just like the normal logon screen
> where it just says FreeBSD/i386 (blah.blah.blah.com) ttyvX
> If you know what I mean..
>
> Thanks,
>
> Joe..

I have seen some shell-dependent answers, so I will post my
shell-independent one: Edit /etc/gettytab.

Read up on the man-page and you will find that the 'im' option
specifies the banner message. Starting it with '\f' (formfeed = clear
screen) will do the trick. Of course history browsing with scroll lock
will still work.

Maybe someone can make some sort of "kill history" command.

With kind regards, Rogier Steehouder

--
/ \                  r.j.s@gmx.net                  //  \