Date:      Fri, 05 Oct 2001 21:44:15 -0400
From:      "M. Attan" <mrattan@home.com>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Mounting ext2 filesystems?

I have some questions about mounting ext2 filesystems that I hope
someone can help me with.

I have a friend who set up a box with Suse 6.4 to be a file server /
print server / web server. (He installed the OS and I configured Samba,
Apache, PHP, Mysql, atalk, DNS and printcap)

Well, we had some power outages and the box died a horrible and nasty
death. The filesystem was absolutely trashed.

He had a backup of the files on the machine, but not of the
configuration, which I spent considerable time on.

After an unfortunately long experience with fsch, I was able to get
almost all of the configuration files off the machine onto a floppy.

I wiped the drives and did hardware tests on them. They are fine.

This time, I got to pick the OS. I installed FreeBSD, even though I
don't know much about it. (Or Suse, really)

I have hopes that the softupdates feature on ufs would be more reliable
and faster than ext2. Installing FreeBSD was enjoyable. Both he and I
noticed an immediate speed increase.

Anyway, here is the nature of my problem.

The disk of configuration files that I made used the ext2 files system.

I am now having trouble mounting it on the FreeBSD system.

I made a mount point in /root:

/root/floppy

I originally tried:

mount -t ext2 /dev/fd0 /root/floppy

Which gave me the following error message:
mount: exec mount_ext not found in /sbin, /usr/sbin:No such file or
directory.

So, I figured that there was no support for ext2 in the default install,
which I thought odd, so downloaded e2fsprogs-1.22.

I installed it with pkg_add.
After installing it, I realized that I had issued the improper mount
command, so I immediately uninstalled with pkg_delete.

I now tried:

mount -t ext2fs /dev/fd0 /root/floppy

This gives me the following message:
ext2fs: vfsload(ext2fs): No such file or directory.

Here are my questions:

Did I screw something up when I installed e2fsprogs-1.22?
Would my second mount command have worked if I hadn't installed and
uninstalled it before trying -t ext2fs?

Should I now go ahead an install e2fsprogs-1.22?

Is there some aspect of mounting ext2 filesystems under FreeBSD which I
am unaware of?

Thanks