Date:      Sat, 19 Nov 2005 07:51:45 -0700
From:      "Chad Leigh -- Shire.Net LLC" <chad@shire.net>
To:        Ted Mittelstaedt <tedm@toybox.placo.com>
Cc:        Free BSD Questions list <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: [summary] Apple intel transition (was: Re: Status of 6.0 forproduction systems)

On Nov 19, 2005, at 5:19 AM, Ted Mittelstaedt wrote:

> [...]

Whatever cycle people use to buy new machines.  Most people or groups
have cycles they follow (even if it is not something they realize
they do).  For some, there is a written policy.  For others it is
driven by budgets.  For others, when the old machine starts to feel
long in the tooth.  For a small minority it is every new generation
(the early adopters and techno geeks).

> I suppose all Mac users follow the same upgrade cycle, huh.

For each person or group it may be different.  Some may do it every
18 months, some every 2-3 years, some every 3-4 years.

>> Chad
>> most of whose Macs are built from parts from eBay and parts shops and
>> PC parts [total 3 Macs in the last 3 years -- personal and business
>> owned], though he does have 3 original purchased Macs from Apple
>> since 1998 [all business owned], 1 of which has been passed on to
>> others.
>
> Hmm - so your own upgrade cycle is what, 8 years?  From 1998 to 2005?

????  I upgraded to a G5, because of business and tax reasons.  My
personal upgrade cycle is when I can afford it.  Sometimes it  is 2
years, sometimes 4 or 5.  Some older machines are still used for side
tasks like the original Bondi Blue 233mhz iMac (running OS X now),
which is used by the family for email etc.  Some older technology
based machines (the eBay built ones) are 5 year old motherboards etc
with new PC parts because I can get a machine much less expensively
than buying a new one and I have a certain need.  Like needing to run
OS X Server for some customers and not wanting to buy an XServe since
the customers are not paying for that.

> Or were you gonna keep those original Macs longer than this year?
>
> So, Apple is going to be supporting PPC for another 8 years, then.
> OK.

Could be.  I would guess at least 3-4 years after the last PPC based
machine stops being part of Apple's line up.  We are at least a year
from that point and probably more like 2.   That may not quite add up
to 8 years but it probably adds up to 5-7 years.  We'll see...

Chad

> Ted

---
Chad Leigh -- Shire.Net LLC