Date:      Thu, 20 Apr 2000 11:26:12 -0400
From:      Brad Chapman <chapmanb@arches.uga.edu>
To:        freebsd-java@freebsd.org
Subject:   Corba with pre-alpha JDK1.2.2

Hello!
    I wanted to start off by giving a big thanks to everyone who is
working on the JDK FreeBSD port. Using Kees Jan Koster's really
helpful step-by-step build instructions I was able to get everything
built last night on 3.3-release (gcc 2.7.2.3) using patchset 6. And
this is despite the fact that I am not exceptionally experienced in
java or porting :-) I really do appreciate everyone's work on this.
    I was trying to test a program that uses the 1.2 internal orb and
have been having problems, so I went back to the easiest case I could
think of, the hello client-server example in the sun tutorials
(http://web2.java.sun.com/docs/books/tutorial/idl/hello/index.html).
The server starts up without a problem but when I try to run the
client I am getting the following:

$ java HelloStringifiedClient -ORBInitialPort 1050
ERROR : org.omg.CORBA.COMM_FAILURE:   minor code: 1 completed: Maybe
org.omg.CORBA.COMM_FAILURE:   minor code: 1 completed: Maybe
t com.sun.CORBA.iiop.IIOPConnection.purge_calls(IIOPConnection.java:45
0)
        at com.sun.CORBA.iiop.ReaderThread.run(IIOPConnection.java:87)

This is using the Stringified IOR example, which writes the IOR to a
file and then reads it back out in the client, to try to eliminate
potential issues in the naming service.
    This is my first experience with the java 1.2 ORB implementation,
so I could be doing something stupid, but this is all with unmodified
example code, so I hope not :-)
    Has anyone else tried out the corba stuff and had any luck? Can
anyone offer any suggestions for how to look into the problem further?
Thanks much!

Brad