Date:      Tue, 29 Jun 2004 15:30:53 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Harti Brandt <harti@freebsd.org>
To:        Donatas_G./LRTC@lrtc.net
Cc:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: problems in NATM0 and NG0 interfaces

On Tue, 29 Jun 2004 Donatas_G./LRTC@lrtc.net wrote:

> we have HE155 Series ForeRunner adapters used with intel rack systems.
> hatm0 driver is not supported by harp, so in order to use atm interfaces,
> we've decided to configure hetgraph interfaces (ng) on FreeBsd 5.2.1

You CAN use hatm with harp. Just list your interfaces in the
natm_interfaces variable in /etc/rc.conf. For example:

natm_interfaces="hatm0 hatm1"

will load the if_harp driver (that is the glue between the NgATM drivers
and harp, and it will issue an ifconfig up for both hatm0 and hatm1.
You'll then find physical HARP interfaces with the same names.

> interfaces are needed to split common internet flow to the national and
> world flows. Also different interfaces are needed to support different
> types of clients.

I can't parse this. Do you mean you need several virtual interfaces on top
of a physical interface?

> We've tried to attach iface type ng nodes (inet or atm hooks) to hatm0, but
> no atm parametres was possible to set to ng interfaces.
> can anyone tell a short way in crating different ng atm interfaces?

Generally this is done with the atmconfig tool (see natmip(4) and the
natm sub-command of atmconfig(8)).

It is also possible to put virtual interfaces on top of single ATM
PVCs, although there is no single configuration tool for this yet:
you just connect your interface NG node to any hook of the ATM node (use
any name except the four fixed in ng_atm(4)). Then you issue an
cpcsinit command to the ng_atm node to initialize the PVC. This goes
something like this:

ngctl connect hatm0: iface: foo link

(given that the hook 'link' of the node 'iface:' is the lower end of the
virtual interface).

ngctl msg hatm0: cpcsinit '{aal=5 vci=77 name="foo"}

you can also specify traffic parameters. See ng_atm(4).

ng_eiface might be a candidate node type for the virtual interface
although I didn't try this.

harti