Date:      Sat, 31 Aug 2002 06:47:18 -0400
From:      Jim Brown <jpb@sixshooter.v6.thrupoint.net>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: name resolving issues behind a firewall

* Tim Kellers <timothyk@serv1.wallnet.com> [2002-08-30 13:59]:

> Strange name resolving issuses...
>
> When I type:
>
> heaven# nslookup wallnet.com
> Server:  cpe3.maestro.njit.edu
> Address:  128.235.198.4
>
> Name:    wallnet.com
> Address:  208.225.162.122
>

> All is well, but when I type:
>
> heaven# ping wallnet.com
>
> I get:
>
> ping: cannot resolve wallnet.com: Unknown host
>
> The IP address of this machine is 192.168.0.64 and shares the private
> subnet with 2 other machines (one Win2k, one Linux) that can ping the
> outside world with no apparent problem.  The FreeBSD box can get to the
> internet via IP addresses, just fine; it just can't resolve names.
>
> /etc/resolv.conf has valid Nameserver entries; I'm about out of ideas
>

> The OS is: 4.6-STABLE (as of Wednesday afternoon).
>
> I'd appreciate any thoughts.
>
> Tim Kellers
> CPE/NJIT

Check /etc/host.conf. Should look similar to the following.

# $FreeBSD: src/etc/host.conf,v 1.6 1999/08/27 23:23:41 peter Exp $
# First try the /etc/hosts file
hosts
# Now try the nameserver next.
bind
# If you have YP/NIS configured, uncomment the next line
# nis

Also, what exactly are the contents of /etc/resolv.conf?
There are several possible directives, and they do different things.
See 'man resolv.conf' (contents is resolver(5)) for details.

Mine looks like this:

domain myfoodomain.com
nameserver  m.m.m.m
nameserver  n.n.n.n

I don't use the search directive.

Also, make sure there is a valid route to m.m.m.m and n.n.n.n
and that if you use any firewall, that your FreeBSD box has
the same rules as the other servers on your internal LAN.

Also, make sure you are not running named locally.

HTH,
jpb
===