Date:      Wed, 19 Jul 2006 09:22:34 -0700
From:      Frank Jahnke <jahnke@sonatabio.com>
To:        freebsd-multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   Sound Issue -- Bzzzzt!

I recently installed a Turtle Beach Santa Cruz card in my FreeBSD box.
Mostly I use the Gnome media applications, and audio playback gives me a
loud BZZZT every 20 second or so.  Otherwise it seems to work OK.

It seemed like this was a buffering issue, so I tried to change the
buffer size using hint.pcm.0.buffersize="32768" in /boot/device.hints,
but seems not to have worked.

Any advice would be most appreciate!

Information:

pinot% sysctl hw.snd
hw.snd.report_soft_formats: 1
hw.snd.targetirqrate: 32
hw.snd.verbose: 1
hw.snd.maxautovchans: 4
hw.snd.unit: 0
hw.snd.pcm0.buffersize: 0
hw.snd.pcm0.vchans: 4

pinot% dmesg | grep pcm
pcm0: <CS461x PCM Audio> on csa0
pcm0: <Cirrus Logic CS4297A AC97 Codec>
pcm0: [GIANT-LOCKED]

FreeBSD 6.1-RELEASE-p2 FreeBSD 6.1-RELEASE-p2 #3: Sat Jul 15 09:17:40
PDT 2006

Gnome is 2.14.2.

Frank