Date:      Sun, 18 Apr 1999 20:00:05 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Brian Feldman <green@unixhelp.org>
To:        Smelly Pooh <blokey@indigo.ie>
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Parallel ZIP drive hangs machine

On Sun, 18 Apr 1999, Smelly Pooh wrote:

> I'm running current as of April 6th and whenever I try to multi-volume tar
> directly to my parallel port zip drive using /dev/da0 it hangs when it gets to
> the end of the zip.  I don't think it's a hardware problem because I've seen
> it happen on 2 completely separate machines.

This is a known problem, that writes to an end of a block device will cause a
lockup. I have no idea if anyone was going to fix this. Did you try using
the character device, which is what you SHOULD be using anyway?

 Brian Feldman                _ __ ___ ____  ___ ___ ___
 green@unixhelp.org                _ __ ___ | _ ) __|   \
     FreeBSD: The Power to Serve!      _ __ | _ \ _ \ |) |
         http://www.freebsd.org           _ |___)___/___/