Date:      Wed, 27 Mar 1996 13:46:43 +0100
From:      jpo.drs@sni.de (Jochen Pohl)
To:        joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de (Joerg Wunsch)
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org (FreeBSD-current users), jpo.drs@sni.de (Jochen Pohl)
Subject:   Re: lint

J. Wunsch writes:
> As Bruce Evans wrote:
> >
> > >Ah.  Hmm, does lint grok exotic thing like ``__attribute(dead2)''
> > >anyway?  Or, does it simply drop the expression in the parens for an
> > >__attribute() statement?  Well, in the latter case, it must fake
> > >gcc >= 2.5, if i'm not mistaken.
> >
> > It doesn't understand them even with -g.  I think the author plans to
> > fix this.  There has to be a way to tell lint that certain functions
> > don't return, and __attribute__((__noreturn__)) is a good way.
>
> Jochen, is this perchance fixed in a recent version?  If so, we don't
> have access to NetBSD's CVS tree, could you send us (me) a cvs diff
> against version 1.3 of your lint sources?

It hasn't been fixed, but I have it on my global todo list, with low
priority. So there will be no fix in the next three or four months,
neither of this nor of any other missing or not working feature in
lint. However, when this and/or other things have been fixed I'll send
you the diffs. Untill then one should probably use the preprocessor to
get rid of __attribute__().

Jochen