Date:      Wed, 19 Feb 2020 09:14:20 -0600
From:      Will Andrews <will@freebsd.org>
To:        "freebsd-arch@freebsd.org" <freebsd-arch@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Return of config files to ^/etc

On Wed, Feb 19, 2020 at 8:02 AM Warner Losh <imp@bsdimp.com> wrote:

> Right. The files don't need to move from the original /etc to do this, and
> never did need to move. so this is not an argument against moving them back.

This was just the background.

Since neither of these features strictly depends on where these files live
> in the tree, this advantage doesn't go away.

But not new people, who in most cases are used to the standard that is
followed by everything else (including everything installed by ports):
config files with the code that reads it.  That's why ^/etc is
idiosyncratic.

And people are used to it. They don't know where everything has moved and
> waste a lot of time finding stuff moved to a new, arbitrary location.

This seems to be the primary argument made for ^/etc: "that's the way it's
always been done, so it must be right."  I can think of a lot of things
that are done a certain way primarily because of that argument.  I'm sure
I'm not alone.

The new locations are actually less "arbitrary" (to use your word) than
^/etc, since the config files are co-located with the code that reads
them.  This is nice for source management: there's no need to look in or
manage other directories for related files like the default configuration.
It is a *source* tree, after all.

Here's a question: why are config files special?  Why don't we store all
man pages in ^/share/man/manX, instead of colocating them with their source
files?

--
wca