Date:      Sat, 4 Jun 2005 02:52:02 +0200
From:      Max Laier <max@love2party.net>
To:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Cc:        Julian Elischer <julian@elischer.org>, Andrew Thompson <thompsa@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: xxconfig for if_bridge

--nextPart25406294.dXI2uzbUU8

On Friday 03 June 2005 23:41, Julian Elischer wrote:
> Andrew Thompson wrote:
> >On Fri, Jun 03, 2005 at 02:00:36PM -0700, Julian Elischer wrote:
> >>what does if_bridge give you that cannot be achieved with
> >>ng_bridge+ng_eiface?
> >>Well, I guess it has some spanning tree algorythm in it, but it might be
> >>as easy to put
> >>that in ng_bridge and a lot more flexible,
> >
> >We had this same discussion a year ago.
> >
> >http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-current/2004-April/thread.htm=
l#
> >25886
>
> and I still don't see why it is better to import Yet another bridge
> module rather
> than adding it to the 2 we already have.

In the long run (by 7.0 if things go as planed) the current bridge will be=
=20
removed.  The current bridge.c implementation has some issues and isn't=20
really actively maintained, while if_bridge is in Net- and OpenBSD and henc=
e=20
we get more from it.

You are welcome, of course, to teach ng_bridge about STP and whatnot.  I ju=
st=20
wonder why that hasn't happened by now?

> You can do things with ng_bridge that you can't do with if_bridge..

And vice versa ... your point being?

> for example bridge together 3 remote sites connected by ipsec tunnels.

for example do proper firewalling on the bridge (without having to push the=
=20
traffic through a gazillion netgraph nodes, which isn't all that great for=
=20
performace).

=2D-=20