Date:      Tue, 05 Nov 1996 09:48:32 +0200
From:      Nadav Eiron <nadav@barcode.co.il>
To:        Rodrigo Ormonde <ormonde@trem.cnt.org.br>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: sio2 disabled

Rodrigo Ormonde wrote:

>   Hi.
>
>   I'm running FreeBSD 2.1.5 on a pentiun 90 Mhz. I've made a customized kernel
> for this machine, very similar with the GENERIC. Everything is running
> fine, except for the fact that every time I reboot the machine the serial
> sio2 is disabled.
>   I have to enter a boot -c to enable it and than it works perfectly, up
> to the next reboot, then it's again disabled.
>   The sio2 is a US-Robotics sportster 14.400 (internal). It's using IRQ 4.
> I have removed the sio0 from my kernel so it has only sio1 and sio2 defined.
>   I'd been using FreeBSD 2.1 for a long time and this problem never happened.
>
>   Does anybody know how to fix this bug (I think it's a bug :-).

It's not a bug, but a feature. Look into your kernel configuration file,
specificaly at the line for sio2. You'll see it has the word "disable" in it. Just
remove it and make a new kernel. In 2.1.0 the probe for sio2 and sio3 was on be
default, which caused some problems with some video cards. For this reason, in
2.1.5R the GENERIC kernel does not probe sio2 and sio3 by default. However, it is
easy to change that by just removing that "disable" keyword from the configuration
file.

>   Please send answers directly to me, I'm not on the list.
>
>   Thanks in advance.
>
> --
> Rodrigo de La Rocque Ormonde
> e-mail: ormonde@cnt.org.br