Date:      Mon, 19 Jan 2015 09:11:59 -0600
From:      Colton Chojnacki <colton.chojnacki@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   netmap example bridge application performance issues

I ask this question about a week ago, but I may have asked on the wrong
mailing list.

I am trying to compare the performance of the bridge application included
in netmap with that of linux kernel bridge application. I have noticed that
the performance of netmap bridge application is significantly lower than
that of the linux kernel bridge.
I am not sure that I am using the netmap bridge application
correctly. Looking to be pointed in the right direction.

I am running the experiment on a single box using two network namespaces.
Here is an overview of my setup:
-Linux Kernel 3.14.28 with netmap module loaded
-two network namespaces: h0, h1
-two veth pairs: veth0, veth1, veth2, veth3
-one bridge implementation: linux kernel bridge or netmap bridge
-Each veth pair is terminated on a network namespace and the bridge
implementation that I am testing

I am running iperf from network namespace h0 to h1.
With the linux kernel bridge iperf is reporting a bandwidth of 24.1 Gbps
With the netmap bridge application iperf is reporting a bandwidth of
118Mbps

The command I am using to setup the netmap bridge application is:
./bridge -i netmap:veth1 -i netmap:veth3

The result of the experiment (24.1Gbps vs 118Mbps) seems off, no?

Also which branch/tag of this repository
https://code.google.com/p/netmap/ should
I be using for the latest linux version of netmap?

Thanks,
Colton