Date:      Sat, 21 Apr 2018 07:55:00 -0700
From:      Cy Schubert <Cy.Schubert@cschubert.com>
To:        Stefan Blachmann <sblachmann@gmail.com>
Cc:        Konstantin Belousov <kib@freebsd.org>, "freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org" <freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org>, Colin Percival <cperciva@tarsnap.com>, Conrad Meyer <cem@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: RFC: Hiding per-CPU kernel output behind bootverbose

In message <CACc-My0qnG1f7Szxho-6rcGfTbeEg_dnpe5VtunL8TAuyVtppA@mail.gma
il.com>
, Stefan Blachmann writes:
> I would also like a solution to this issue, which is looking highly
> unprofessional and uselessly wasting space in the dmesg ring buffer.

Really? Have you looked at Red Hat (or Oracle) Linux or Solaris dmesg
output?

Why neuter the dmesg ring buffer?

> In the first version of my sysutils/cpupdate tool I also had spammy
> output like being complained about.
> This was hard-to-read. Thus I changed code so that identical cores
> output was collected up in blocks of single output, i.e.: "core #n to
> #m: <identical stats>".
> If all cpus are identical, cpu stats will be output only once this
> way, else in subsequent blocks comprising all identical cores on
> different cpus.
>
> To avoid the spamming at bootup and microcode updating, the kernel
> would need such a function to read/evaluate *all* cores in a row, like
> I did in cpupdate.
> This would be only a few lines of code.

Maybe the solution is a Red Hat style of slider bar or a Windows style
graphic to hide messages.

Personally, a Red Hat style of slider might work. Hit the enter to see
the gory details. Hit enter again to see the slider bar again. It
doesn't have to be a slider -- we don't want to look like a RH
derivative. It can be any kind of progress indicator.

Additionally, green and red checkboxes like HP/UX and Red Hat (they
ripped that off from HP) is okay but when something fails you're in the
dark. (At $JOB we use HP SA, with its green checkmarks and red x's on
various dashboard style outputs. All you can tell is something is out
of compliance but not where the actual problem is. This is totally
unacceptable.)

~cy