Date:      Fri, 18 Nov 2011 10:06:36 -0800
From:      Yuri <yuri@rawbw.com>
To:        java@freebsd.org
Subject:   Java process not killed by java plugin and keep hanging out after the web page using it is closed

Hi,

I have Java browser plugin insgtalled following the handbook:
openjdk6-b23_1 + icedtea-web-1.1.4 + symbolic link.
After using some page with Java plugin in firefox (like
http://websdr.sp3pgx.uz.zgora.pl:8901) and closing it, I still see java
process like this:
74450  ??  S      0:04.99 /usr/local/openjdk6/jre/bin/java
-Xbootclasspath/a:/usr/local/share/icedtea-web/netx.jar:/usr/local/share/icedtea-web/plugin.jar
-c
Java process disappears after closing firefox.

When reopening the same page, I see this java process reused.
So it looks like java stays as a dormant child when nobody uses it.
There is no reason to keep java process hanging since it can grow very
large (in my case it's size/res=2489M/164M) and web browser usually is a
long lived process.

Yuri