Date:      Mon, 14 Jun 1999 14:02:36 -0500 (CDT)
From:      "M. L. Dodson" <bdodson@beowulf.utmb.edu>
To:        Mark Ovens <markov@globalnet.co.uk>
Cc:        Clem.Dye@wdr.com, as_hombert@ibm.net, Questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Booting FreeBSD with Win NT

Mark Ovens writes:
 > On Mon, Jun 14, 1999 at 09:11:58AM -0500, M. L. Dodson wrote:
 > >
 > > Wrongo.  This configuration works.  No repartitioning or other
 > > hocus-pocus required.  When you set up fbsd, install the default
 > > boot manager:
 > >
 > > DOS and NT on IDE drive connected to motherboard (FAT and ntfs
 > > partitions).
 > >
 > > FreeBSD-STABLE (just pre-3.2-RELEASE) on SCSI disk connected to
 > > motherboard Adaptec (2940W compat.)
 > >
 > > c:\bootsect.bsd is /boot/boot0
 > > Just copy it over and rename it.
 > >

 > The FAQ should be updated to reflect this. Under 2.2.x BOOTSECT.BSD
 > was simply the FreeBSD boot sector, created with dd(1), and hence
 > not executable. NT's boot loader was simply looking for the partition
 > described in BOOTSECT.BSD on the first disk.
 >
 > Your solution should work with 3.1 yes? When I added a 2nd HD I
 > created a small partition on the first HD to allow me to use the
 > NT loader, seems I didn't have to.

I _think_ it works with 3.1, but I can't remember whether I tried
it.  I installed 3.1 and then almost immediately upgraded to
-STABLE with a "make world".  In any case, I would suggest people
go to 3.2R or a -STABLE snapshot, not 3.1.  The key point is that
this solution is totally dependent on the "new" 3-stage boot
loader.  In any case, when working with this range of versions,
be sure to keep /boot/loader and /kernel version-consistent or
you may get into a situation where your shiny new kernel can't be
booted by your dingy old /boot/loader.

 > > c:\boot.ini is:
 > >
 > > C:\="MS-DOS"
 > > multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINNT="Windows NT Workstation Version 4.00"
 > > multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINNT="Windows NT Workstation Version 4.00 [VGA mode]" /basevideo /sos
 > > c:\bootsect.bsd="FreeBSD"
 > >
 > > /boot/loader.rc is:
 > >
 > > set root_disk_unit=0
 > > autoboot 10

This may have to be:

set root_disk_unit=1
autoboot 10

for an all ide system.  My configuration is DOS/NT on IDE disk
(two primary fdisk partitions), FBSD on a SCSI second (and third
and fourth) disk.

Someone with a range of hardware should work out all these
nuances before the FAQ is updated, IMO.

[much elided]
--
M. L. Dodson                                bdodson@scms.utmb.edu
409-772-2178                                FAX: 409-772-1790