Date:      Wed, 22 Oct 2014 17:23:49 -0500 (CDT)
From:      "Valeri Galtsev" <galtsev@kicp.uchicago.edu>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Unable to boot Fujitsu Lifebook U904 from 10.0 installation DVD

Dear Experts,

I did a stupid thing: I got myself a fancy new laptop ;-) ... Fujitsu
Lifebook U904 Ultrabook.

Ideally I was going to wipe the drive and have single system: FreeBSD.
(And other systems under virtual box). I'm trying to boot the laptop off
FreeBSD (10.0, 10.1 RC2, 9.2) installation DVD. All I get: "boot failure".
I get the same when I try USB memory stick installer. I did a variety of
changes in UEFI settings that are being suggested for successful boot of
[installation media of] other than Windows 8 systems. In Security -->
Secure boot configurations I disabled "Secure Boot", and I disabled
"Secure boot options". I somehow am sure that that is not what prevents me
to boot FreeBSD. I can boot several Linux installation DVDs and start
installation: Debian, CentOS, Ubuntu. I didn't plan and don't want to
install them though. I can boot ArchLinux (although the installer fails
for whatever reason).

Search on the web didn't reveal brilliant person who successfully
installed FreeBSD on this particular laptop and was kind enough to
describe non-trivial parts of the process.

Any suggestions anybody?

Thanks in advance for all your answers!

Valeri

Valeri Galtsev