Date:      Sat, 4 Mar 2017 20:57:25 +0100
From:      Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>
To:        Jos Chrispijn <bsduser@cloudzeeland.nl>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD upgrading 10.3 Stable

On Sat, 4 Mar 2017 20:20:25 +0100, Jos Chrispijn wrote:
> Can you advise how to do a smooth upgrade to the latest stable BSD
> version? Running 10.3 Stable currently(which I installed from scratch).
> I'm not quite an advanced user but can find my way if hinted to the
> right direction.

If you're already using 10.3-STABLE, that _is_ the currently
supported stable release (advanced from -RELEASE). All you
need to do here is to upgrade your source tree again, and
then follow /usr/src/Makefile's comment header where the
instructions for the upgrade process are stored.

(I assume because you said "10.3 Stable" you're familiar
with the meaning of RELEASE, STABLE, and CURRENT / HEAD.)

If you want to go to FreeBSD 11, source update is possible
too - just fetch the code for FreeBSD 11.0-RELEASE and use
that for installation.

State where you want to go in order to obtain a more precise
information. :-)

Check the corresponding information for details:

https://www.freebsd.org/doc/handbook/updating-upgrading.html

from here:

https://www.freebsd.org/doc/handbook/synching.html

https://www.freebsd.org/doc/handbook/makeworld.html