Date:      Tue, 14 Dec 1999 00:35:51 -0600 (CST)
From:      Ryan Thompson <freebsd@sasknow.com>
To:        shocker@ionet.net
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Yet another PCI128 flubberhead....

On Tue, 14 Dec 1999, Reid Linnemann wrote:
> I spent forever and a year reading all I could in the archives about
> this problem... but nothing turned out very well.
>
> For history, I've been working in BSD for about 4 or 5 months now, I'm
> pretty fresh to UNIX, and even moreso to system admin. I have a limited
> c++ programming experience, but I know my way around.
>
> I updated to FreeBSD 3.2-current from 2.8-current today with no

You mean 3.2-RELEASE?  By "updated"... Do you mean you did the upgrade
option in sysinstall?  Upgrading a major release in this manner is
something that I would hesitate to try.  Quite a few things have changed
since 2.2.x that you should be aware of (among other things, the binary
format :-)...

> problems. Afterwards, I decided it was about time I got sound working so
> I can impress my friends and enjoy being out of winslug.
>
> Here's the kicker though... I added the lines
> {
> device pcm0
> device es0
> }

If you added those lines exactly as you typed them to your kernel
configuration in /sys/i386/conf, I would really like to know how you got
your new kernel to compile!  es0 isn't even a valid device in -STABLE's
LINT.

You are using a SoundBlaster PCI128 (inferred from subject line)?  On my
desktop system, I add the following two lines, and ONLY these two lines in
my config (Luigi's sound code! I've always had more luck with these as
opposed to VOXWARE)

device pcm0 at isa? port ? tty irq 10 drq1 flags 0x0
device pca0 at isa? port "IO_TIMER1" tty

Which gives you PC speaker functionality as well... Although I don't have
one... And any time I have, the connectors never seem to find their way to
the motherboard pins :-)

DISCLAIMER:  Attempting the following procedure (or ANY procedure beyond
`rm -R /`, for that matter), without having read the section in the
freebsd handbook (www.freebsd.org/handbook) is a very BAD idea.
Seriously, do read up on this stuff.  It'll save you a lot of grief later
on down the road.

Ryan's impromptu crash course in kernel compiles:

# config <KERNELTAG>
# cd ../../compile/<KERNELTAG>
# make depend
# make
# make install
# reboot

# dmesg | more
Ask yourself:  Was it detected?  I see:

es1: <AudioPCI ES1370> rev 0x00 int a irq 10 on pci0.11.0
pcm1: using I/O space register mapping at 0xa400

Then, and only then, do a sh MAKEDEV snd1 and attempt to use your sound.
Also, remember to turn your mixer volumes up, lest ye have a working sound
card that seems oddly silent. :-)

> to my custom kernel, and /tried/ to sh MAKEDEV pcm0 - as per the sound
> how-to - but trying to make the node just returns an error, that there
> is no such device.
>
> BUT dmesg shows devices pcm1 and es1 initializing on boot.

When posting a problem along the lines of "why doesn't this work", it
helps (and is often essential) for you to include your FULL dmesg output,
as well as any part of the kernel config that's different from GENERIC.
In particular, what EXACTLY did you add to your kernel config?  Copy any
changed lines verbatim so we can see what you've done.

> I tried making a node for pcm1 and got the same result as before.
>
> when attempting to use mixer, it reports:
> "/dev/mixer: device not configured, [do you mean pcm1?]"
>
> so I pointer mixer to pcm1... and got  the same message, minus the "do
> you mean..."

Nope... Carefully undo whatever you've done in that regard and do a
MAKEDEV snd1. That's most likely your problem (or at least part of it).
Before asking additional questions, please be ready to provide as much
information as is possible, so we can give you a more specific answer.

This message was as close to a tutorial as I get; as long as you don't
have any more general problems with you system (such as hardware
conflicts, bus/chipset incompatibility problems, or problems from 2.2.8
upgrade), following my directions should bless you with a functioning
sound card.

Hope I've been of help.

Virtually yours,
 - Ryan

---

  Ryan Thompson <ryan@sasknow.com>
  50% Owner, Technical and Accounts
  Phone: +1 (306) 664-1161

  SaskNow Technologies     http://www.sasknow.com
  #106-380 3120 8th St E   Saskatoon, SK  S7H 0W2