Date:      Thu, 20 Jan 2000 17:51:19 -0700
From:      Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
To:        Darren Reed <avalon@coombs.anu.edu.au>, imp@village.org (Warner Losh)
Cc:        jamiE@arpa.com (jamiE rishaw - master e*tard), tom@uniserve.com (Tom), mike@sentex.net (Mike Tancsa), freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG, security-officer@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: bugtraq posts: stream.c - new FreeBSD exploit?

Darren:

Glad to see you are in on this discussion.

The code you use for the "keep state" option in IPFilters might be
able to recognize that the ACK does not belong to an existing
connection. Could a fast check be implemented as a rule under
IPFilters? (If it could, it's probably a one-liner, but I'd need
to figure out how to write it since I do not deal with IPFilters
on a regular basis.) If not, it seems as if the framework might
mostly be in place in your code.

--Brett