Date:      Wed, 22 Jun 2011 15:18:24 +0100
From:      Chris Rees <crees@freebsd.org>
To:        Ion-Mihai Tetcu <itetcu@freebsd.org>
Cc:        ports@freebsd.org, "Ilya A. Arkhipov" <micro@heavennet.ru>, Alexey Dokuchaev <danfe@freebsd.org>, kwm@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: OpenTTD

2011/6/22 Ion-Mihai Tetcu <itetcu@freebsd.org>:
> On Wed, 22 Jun 2011 09:56:55 +0100
> Chris Rees <crees@freebsd.org> wrote:

>> > Wow, if you could write a patch to portlint that is would correctly su=
ggest
>> > that MAINTAINER/COMMENT/LICENSE should be grouped together, and FOO_DE=
PENDS
>> > would be closed to USE_BAR knobs, I'd be very grateful!
>> >
>> > Just to make myself clear on this issue: COMMENT/LICENSE are general
>> > software information, FOO_DEPENDS and USE_BAR knobs both specify
>> > dependencies (that is, package-related stuff). =A0I believe that it do=
es not
>> > make sence to mix them, hence LICENSE should be defined before _DEPEND=
S, not
>> > after.
>> >

>> I agree 110% with this. It confused me a while ago when I started to
>> use LICENSE, but I think the general acceptance is that we should
>> have:
>>
>> PORTNAME
>> PORTVERSION
>> etc
>>
>> MAINTAINER
>> COMMENT
>>
>> LICENSE
>>
>> So license in a separate block; you can have several license lines
>> making the MAINTAINER/COMMENT block unnecessarily large.
>>
>> Not too sure about keeping _DEPENDS with USE; there're additional
>> variables often set with USE, perhaps a block for _DEPENDS and then
>> USE etc underneath? (could follow with USERS/GROUPS).
>>
>> Example:
>>
>> PORTNAME
>> PORTVERSION
>> etc
>>
>> MAINTAINER
>> COMMENT
>>
>> LICENSE
>>
>> LIB_DEPENDS=3D
>>
>> BUILD_DEPENDS=3D
>>
>> RUN_DEPENDS=3D
>>
>> USE_FOO
>> FOO_ARGS
>> USE_BAR
>>
>> USERS
>> GROUPS
>
> *dEPENDS and USE* are really the same thing, dependencies (with, maybe,
> some rare exceptions). So I'd say they should go together.

Just to satisfy a nagging question inside me (I'm sorry, you're going
to regret having me around!).

Do you mean:

BUILD_DEPENDS
LIB_DEPENDS
RUN_DEPENDS
USE_FOO
USE_BAR

or

BUILD_DEPENDS
LIB_DEPENDS
RUN_DEPENDS

USE_FOO
USE_BAR

?

Apart from the aesthetics appeal of the latter, I also think that
there should be a distinction between the USE and DEPENDS -- only USE
sets cool variables for the Makefile to then use...

Chris