Date:      Wed, 5 Jul 1995 10:42:45 +0200
From:      Julian Howard Stacey <jhs@vector.eikon.e-technik.tu-muenchen.de>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Proposal to change name of this list to a less embarrassing one

I propose we change the list name `hackers' to [ Suggestions Please ].

The world of journalists & bosses & general public has made up its mind
a hacker is anti-social, the name thus harms FreeBSD's image.

It's hard enough to persuade bosses and friends to use FreeBSD, rather than
something commercial, it's harder still when one must tell the `Suits':
  "Your administrator should subscribe to a list called `hackers'"

The difference between a `hacker' & a `cracker' is something
no one but us & other techno-freaks knows or cares about.
We are too few to have a hope of educating the world's press.

The word `hacker' has been hijacked & had its meaning changed,
we should respond accordingly.
( Most people old enough to have had the habit, have long since given up
  saying "I'm gay" when merely joyful & happy, as that word too has changed its
  meaning; similarly `nice' once meant `exact' but no longer does.)

Words change, `hackers' attracts negative publicity.  Let's change it.
The new name should be `future proof' & non-repelant to individual
programmers working in their leisure time, to commercial firms & governmental
users. Perhaps something like forum@freebsd.org ? (just an example,
the important thing is to expire `hackers').

For the people with CD-ROMs that refer to hackers@
we could retain an /etc/aliases entry on freebsd.org for a year or so.

Changing the name of `hackers@freebsd.org' won't happen without public support,
would those in favour please respond publicly, (no point mailing me privately).
Thanks.

Julian S