Date:      Mon, 8 Sep 1997 10:11:59 -0500 (CDT)
From:      "Lee Crites (AEI)" <leec@adam.adonai.net>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: A quick note to those without DNS resolvable mail hosts.

On Fri, 5 Sep 1997, Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:
=>I know that some of you are also saying right now that this is bogus
=>and that you've been sending mail from ``fred@not-really.a.domain''
=>for years now without trouble, why should it suddenly be an issue, why
=>are we such Nazi scumbags, etc. and so forth.  I can answer that
=>question in one word: SPAM.

Actually, I'm surprised this (the changes being proposed) isn't
already the case...

I have seen spam drive a list into extinction.  The old pascal_l
list was spammed by some c-sick types who couldn't 'convert' the
masses to their way of thinking.  That list is now gone, with
little chance of it ever starting up again.  Probably as few as
two or three individuals, using their knowledge of spoof-ing
addresses pumped as much as a gig of useless spam through the
mail list.  Do you think some peeved off l*n*x user(s) couldn't
pull the same maneuver?

So, you can put my vote into the yes-get-it-done-already column.

Lee