Date:      Sun, 6 Apr 2003 21:41:33 -0400
From:      taxman <taxman@acd.net>
To:        Konrad Scorciapino <fallenbr@uol.com.br>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: From 4.7 to 4.8

On Sunday 06 April 2003 07:23 pm, Konrad Scorciapino wrote:
> Hi,
>
> From freebsd.org:
> > If you're upgrading from a previous release of FreeBSD, you generally
> > will have three options:
> > - Using the binary upgrade option of sysinstall(8).

as far as I understand it, it's the worst of the three options.  Back up and
reinstall is the most reliable.  I've done many many source upgrades, and
never had serious problems that trying again didn't fix.  Just my two cents.
If you care to do the binary upgrade read on.

> How can I do it?

You need to run the new sysinstall.  You would get this by either booting from
a 4.8 Release CD, or the 4.8 Release boot floppies.  If you do the floppies,
then you can choose how you get the rest, by ftp or whatever.
Make sure to read the whole warning, especially the part about good backups.

Tim