Date:      Sat, 27 Apr 2002 08:06:10 -0700
From:      Benjamin Krueger <benjamin@macguire.net>
To:        atk2@arctic.org
Cc:        scott.mitchell@mail.com, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: checking hard disk -- hdparm like tool?

* atk2@arctic.org (atk2@arctic.org) [020427 07:47]:
> I did that -- and it does say dma -- but I think it is dma 2 (ata33). The
> drive is ata 133 and I was hoping for ata 100 (which freebsd supports). There
> is nothing in the var log messages or otherwise to indicate which dma mode it
> is in.
>
> I'm hoping to get ppp working tomorrow and then will do a cvs-update to get
> atacontrol (I'm running off of the 4.5 release cd's).
>
> Wish the info sysctrl/boot messages had more details.
>
> There is a dvd drive as slave -- and I was able to set it from the default
> pio mode to dma mode. I get about 2.5MB/S off the dvd and 10MB/S off the hard
> drive. However, if the dvd plays while the hard disk is active hard disk
> drops to about 200KB/S (thought as master it would stay near peak). Oh well...
>
> Alan
>
>   ||From scott.mitchell@mail.com  Sat Apr 27 07:26:20 2002
>
>   ||Do 'man ata' and read up on the various sysctl knobs for tuning ATA
>   ||performance.  Note that some of these can only be set at boot time, in
>   ||/boot/loader.conf.
>
>   ||DMA should be enabled by default for disks... you don't have it sharing a
>   ||cable with a slow old CD drive or anything, do you?  Also make sure that
>   ||you're using good quality ATA-66 cables and check what's reported in the
>   ||boot messages for your controller and drives.
>
>   ||HTH,
>
>   ||	Scott

(I have this memorized now. Isn't that cute?)

Definately make sure that your atapi cdrom is running in dma mode. FreeBSD by
default doesn't run atapi drives in dma mode because some atapi devices have
issues in dma mode, despite claims to the otherwise. Instructions on enabling
dma for your drive can be found in ata(4) (which you already read, however you
may not have realized what that section was for). That should help.

--
Benjamin Krueger

"Life is far too important a thing ever to talk seriously about."
- Oscar Wilde (1854 - 1900)