Date:      Mon, 20 Mar 2000 00:50:09 -0800
From:      Joe Park <joepark@uclink4.berkeley.edu>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   printer ... almost there

Hello,

My printer now sort of works, but not completely.  First, I looked at the
log fie and I noticed that there were bunch of messages saying that there
is no "/dev/lp" file.  I thought in /etc/printcap file, ":lp=/dev/lpt0"
line takes care of that, but I guess I was wrong.  So I made a link by "#
ln  -s /dev/lpt0  /dev/lp".

Now, I can print from Win98 with samba but it keep add two pages-- one in
the beginning and one at the end.  I though the first page was header page,
but adding or subtracting ":sh:" in printercap has no effect.  And when I
tried to print from the FreeBSD printer server machine, it only prints 3
blank pages -- e.g. "lptest 20 5 | lpr" prints 3 blank page.

What am I doing wrong here?  Can anyone help me?

Thank you.

Joe