Date:      Sat, 18 Dec 2004 11:49:53 -0500
From:      Zachary Huang <bees.msu@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   make buildworld dies

Sorry for so many questions. On yet another FreeBSD (4.2), I  first
did a sysinstall to upgrade to 5.10, it messed up everything because
the source (/usr/src) did not match all the config files, so sendmail
complains a lot and cannot ssh or telnet to the system.  I then did a
cvsup (without specify which release, simply "cvs") successfully (took
like 10 hrs),  then today I tried to

cd /usr/src
make buildworld

after about 8 min,  it stopped with the following error:
cc -O -pipe -DSHELL -I .I/usr/src/bin/sh -Wall -Wfont (? cannot see my
own writing) -c /usr/src/bin/sh
/usr/src/bin/sh/mknodes.c:101.
initializer element is not constant
***error code 1
Stop in /usr/src/bin/sh
*** error code 1
stop in /usr/src.

now I am sort of stuck.  I made a new kernel the day before the
sysinstall, but now I cannot even try compile a new kernel because it
compains the config file is newer than what it wants.

is my system totally messed up?  right now apache still works, but I
can telnet or ssh out but to the host....

do not mess upgrades before Christmas, as it gets you in bad mood..:( :(