Date:      07 Mar 2002 16:02:09 -0700
From:      John-David Childs <jdc@nterprise.net>
To:        Jonas Fornander <jonas@netwood.net>
Cc:        "'David A. Hauan'" <dah@hauan.org>, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: Still need help with configuring cgi-bin

On Thu, 2002-03-07 at 01:44, Jonas Fornander wrote:
> OK, it works if I add ExecCGI to <Directory /> section, but isn't that a
> security issue? Now they can run scripts in any directory not just the
> cgi-bin.

Uh, YEAH!

Honestly, ya need to RTFM the Apache docs at http://httpd.apache.org,
but the short answer is:

Do one of the following:

For a SINGLE user running his/her own CGI, add the Script-Alias
directive for that user...something like:

	ScriptAlias	/jouser-cgi/	"/home/joeuser/public_html/cgi-bin"

	<Directory "/home/joeuser/public_html/cgi-bin">
	Options ExecCGI
	</Directory>

For multiple users on a system, look into the "suexec" setup:

	http://httpd.apache.org/docs/suexec.html

And finally, Section F of:

http://httpd.apache.org/docs/misc/FAQ.html