Date:      Sun, 26 Nov 1995 14:46:31 -0800 (PST)
From:      Donald Burr <d_burr@ix.netcom.com>
To:        Everett F Batey <efb@cotdazr.org>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: tcpdump bpf0 permissions

On Sun, 26 Nov 1995, Everett F Batey wrote:

> Cant access tcpdump as suer or as root .. seems to be looking for a
> SUnOSish like command like the setup to in.etherd pre Solaris to open
> the interface to permiscuous (sp?) mode ..
>
> tcpdump: /dev/bpf0: Device not configured
>
> Was trying to find out if I ever got an ether0 type ifc and to look at
> packets on my tun0 ppp line ??
>
> Am I whistling dixie ??? /Ev/

You need to recompile your kernel with "pseudo-device bpfilter <X>" in
your config file (<X> should be replaced by the number of bpf devices you
want, typically the total amount of Net interfaces to your machine).
Then reboot, and (as root) cd to /dev and run "./MAKEDEV bpf<X>" to
create the devices.  Then everything should work.

Donald Burr [d_burr@ix.netcom.com], PO Box 91212, Santa Barbara CA 93190-1212
TEL (805)564-1871 / FAX 564-2315 / WWW http://www.geopages.com/WallStreet/2072
PGP Public Key available by request (send e-mail) or on Public Key Servers.
** Uphold your right to privacy - Use PGP. **