Date:      Tue, 25 May 1999 07:56:28 +0200
From:      sthaug@nethelp.no
To:        eugene@lioninc.com
Cc:        freebsd-alpha@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Installation

> I'm very disappointed that i cant install FreeBSD on my Alpha Station
> 200
> I can succesfully install openbsd and linux but freebsd disklabel says:
> da0: rejecting BSD label: raw partition offset != slice offset
> da0: start 0, end 4178873, size 4178873
> da0c: start 2046000, end 2045999, size 0
>
> I cant mount fixit floppy because i dont have 2.8Mb floppy drive.
> (i was booting boot and mfsroot floppies).
>
> I dont have emergency shell ot vty4.

I don't know if this will help you - but I was able to install completely
from the network on a floppy-less Alphastation 200 here. Needed to get
the kernel out of the boot floppy image via vnconfig, and then use the
netboot image (from boot/netboot) with bootp and tftp to get started. I
installed 4.0-19990413-CURRENT version from one of the FTP servers. It
helped a lot to use tcpdump (on another host) to see what the Alpha was
requesting.

However, emergency shell didn't work for me either.