Date:      Sat, 7 Aug 1999 00:21:10 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Bill Fumerola <billf@jade.chc-chimes.com>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.cdrom.com>
Cc:        Alex Zepeda <garbanzo@hooked.net>, Mike Hoskins <mike@snafu.adept.org>, advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: advocacy site

On Fri, 6 Aug 1999, Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:

> We're paying attention. :)

You paid attention.

> For what it's worth, I think it's still worth doing it as a separate
> site and worth doing it in such a way that "accounts" can be given to
> roving reporters and such without having to give them actual Unix
> shell accounts and/or CVS commit access.  Having to put someone who
> only intends on being an occasional (but nonetheless valuable)
> journalist though the commiters voting process is just too damn much
> overhead for supporting a "slashdot" style site (which I believe is
> needed - if it doesn't change at least once every other day, people
> stop coming back).

Okay. mySQL accounts are easy enough to setup.

The trouble with all of this is problems with the site will be reported
through the traditional methods, and we're going to have to deal with
that I suppose.

I'll help out with any implementation though, however let's get it
completly working before announcing it again.

> I also don't see people complaining that they're not able to mirror
> slashdot, so I think the fears about not having a CVS repository to
> put up for remote access are a little unfounded.  If it all goes into
> a mysql database with a bunch of CGI glue then so be it - as long as
> it's visible on a site with reasonable network connectivity, we're
> ahead of the game already.

Except less people will know how to help.

--
- bill fumerola - billf@chc-chimes.com - BF1560 - computer horizons corp -
- ph:(800) 252-2421 - bfumerol@computerhorizons.com - billf@FreeBSD.org  -