Date:      Wed, 3 Jan 2001 07:42:41 GMT
From:      Cliff Sarginson <cliff@raggedclown.net>
To:        Greg Skafte <skafte+freebsd-stable@trollkarl.net>, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: vinum malfunction!

> In the past when I've had vinum problems, if I followed Greg's
> instructions, he has been very helpful.  As he has stated numerous
> times he _needs_ the information he's asked for in the format he
> asked for, or he won't be able to help.
>
> I've yet to have vinum cause data loss, but I'm not running raid 5
> either, just mirroring.  If I've needed raid 5 or raid 50 then I've
> needed the whole machine to be raid 5/50 including the root/boot
> partition.
>
> As has been pointed out, this is young, and experimental software
> not nearly the milage that veritas has, or hp's lvm, or the aix
> equivalent.  Its maintained on a volunteer pro-bono basis.
>
> Also, any opensource or even closed source solution need to be
> tested and verified for their suitability.  Software Raid works
> well if you've tested it in your enviorment, Suns disk suite
> comes to mind on my sparcs, I've had hardware raid cards fail
> and eat everything also.
>
> In a _mission_ critical enviroment you need to have a recovery
> plan.

Not only that you should also do what manufacturers rather quaintly
call "a proof of concept" before sailing the boat out onto the
high seas.

> Not having one is poor practice. Not have proper backs
> is even poorer practice.  Free software does not imply no cost.
> If the expertise aren't availible to support this free stuff then
> there is going to be a substantial cost in lost productivity and
> lost data.

Without going into the wrongs and rights of this seemingly endless
debate just give the software author/maintainer the information he asks
for in the format he wants it. Doesn't seem unreasonable to me.
If his instructions are not clear then ask for clarification.

Cliff