Date:      Sat, 30 Mar 2019 20:51:41 +0100
From:      Steffen Nurpmeso <steffen@sdaoden.eu>
To:        Rebecca Cran via freebsd-hackers <freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org>
Cc:        Warner Losh <imp@bsdimp.com>, Konstantin Belousov <kostikbel@gmail.com>, "freebsd-arch@freebsd.org" <arch@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Adding a new efi-update-loader script: need help understanding Makefile.inc1 for "make installworld"

Rebecca Cran via freebsd-hackers wrote in <a3eb3fe0-d115-4ab6-a036-ba803\
41c5495@bluestop.org>:
 |On 3/24/19 5:57 PM, Warner Losh wrote:
 |boot entry had disappeared! Fortunately I have rEFInd installed so I
 |could select the "UEFI OS" entry and get back into FreeBSD, but that's
 |another reason we need to be really careful about relying too heavily on
 |the boot manager variables.

Thanks for bringing this name up.
Maybe FreeBSD should pass some donations through to this rEFIt
successor and start execution where that one ends.

I have always been living in fear of using those badly documented
Free(and other)BSD boot things, for true multiboot etc. i always
had to end up with lilo or (horrors!) grub2.

  I can tell stories of systems where the Debian grub messed up
  freebsd booting, and the FreeBSD grub port only found freebsd.
  This is only fun for i-do-not-know-who, but anyway these have
  a vivid internet connection and multiple boxes available.

I finally have found a home with syslinux and refit/refind.

  (Which is still very picky when you mess up configuration
  entries.  For example it will find anything and include
  a manually entered configuration, but if you mess up the latter
  it will just break.)

--steffen