Date:      Sat, 11 Jun 2005 18:13:09 +0200
From:      Vladimir Dvorak <dvorakv@vdsoft.org>
To:        Keyser <keyser456@verizon.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: make installkernel fails instantly w/ signal 11

Keyser wrote:

>In an effort to get the simplest of compiled c++ programs (compiled with g++) to actually run without a segfault on my box I'm trying to update everything.  So I cvsup'd src-all and ports-all.  Then I did:
>
>make -j4 buildworld (which worked)
>make -DALWAYS_CHECK MAKE buildkernel (which also worked)
>
>However, then when I try to installkernel I get a signal 11 immediately as shown below.  I've tried it in single user mode with the same result.  Not sure what I'm doing wrong?  I've read signal 11 is usually caused by hardware issues but it seems strange this box could build both world and kernel without any problems if that were the case.
>
>vitoc# cd /usr/src
>vitoc# pwd
>/usr/src
>vitoc# ls
>COPYRIGHT       UPDATING        gnu             rescue          usr.bin
>LOCKS           bin             include         sbin            usr.sbin
>MAINTAINERS     contrib         kerberos5       secure
>Makefile        crypto          lib             share
>Makefile.inc1   etc             libexec         sys
>README          games           release         tools
>vitoc# make -DALWAYS_CHECK_MAKE installkernel

>cd /usr/src;  MAKEOBJDIRPREFIX=/usr/obj  MACHINE_ARCH=i386  MACHINE=i386  CPUTYPE=  GROFF_BIN_PATH=/usr/obj/usr/src/tmp/legacy/usr/bin  GROFF_FONT_PATH=/usr/obj/usr/src/tmp/legacy/usr/share/groff_font  GROFF_TMAC_PATH=/usr/obj/usr/src/tmp/legacy/usr/share/tmac PATH=/usr/obj/usr/src/tmp/legacy/usr/sbin:/usr/obj/usr/src/tmp/legacy/usr/bin:/usr/obj/usr/src/tmp/legacy/usr/games:/usr/obj/usr/src/tmp/usr/sbin:/usr/obj/usr/src/tmp/usr/bin:/usr/obj/usr/src/tmp/usr/games:/sbin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin /usr/obj/usr/src/make.i386/make -f Makefile.inc1 hierarchy
>cd /usr/src/etc;                /usr/obj/usr/src/make.i386/make distrib-dirs
>mtree -eU  -f /usr/src/etc/mtree/BSD.root.dist -p /
>mtree -eU  -f /usr/src/etc/mtree/BSD.var.dist -p /var
>*** Signal 11
>
>Stop in /usr/src/etc.
>*** Error code 1
>
>Stop in /usr/src.
>*** Error code 1
>
>Stop in /usr/src.
>*** Error code 1
>
>Stop in /usr/src.
>vitoc#
>
>I've literally done everything "by the book" but maybe I've missed something obvious to someone else?

Cut and pasted from /usr/src/Makefile
# Make sure we have an up-to-date make(1). Only world and buildworld
# should do this as those are the initial targets used for upgrades.
# The user can define ALWAYS_CHECK_MAKE to have this check performed
# for all targets.
#

Try make and install kernel without -DALWAYS_CHECK_MAKE.

 Vladimir Dvorak