Date:      Tue, 26 Feb 2002 14:49:00 -0500
From:      Christopher Rued <c.rued@xsb.com>
To:        Christopher Elkins <chrise@scardini.com>
Cc:        Jeff Dalton <jeff@aiai.ed.ac.uk>, Brad Cox <bcox@virtualschool.edu>, freebsd-java@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: What is ant good for?

 > On Tue, Feb 26, 2002 at 09:11:36AM -0800, Christopher Elkins wrote:
 > >
 > > Yes. <http://jakarta.apache.org/ant/manual/CoreTasks/javac.html>;
 >
 > Sorry, not enough coffee yet. That should've been:
 >
 > No. <http://jakarta.apache.org/ant/manual/CoreTasks/javac.html>;

That can get you *almost* there.  There are two ways that I know of to
use the javac target:

  1) Name exactly the source file(s) you want to compile, and point it
     to the directory under which it can find all other .java files
     that may also need to be compiled; or
  2) Tell it to compile somedir/**.java which will cause it to compile
     all java source files under the directory somedir, whether or not
     they are really needed by the particular application you are
     compiling.  Lots of extra cruft.

The problem with the first is that it does not check to see if a class
file is older than the source.  The problem with the second is that it
compiles all .java files regardless of whether or not it is needed for
the application.  The way around it would be to name all of the .java
files that *are* necessary, but this is kind of a hassle.

If anyone has a better way of going about doing this, I'd be glad to
hear it :).

--
Chris