Date:      Tue, 29 Sep 2009 21:35:47 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Juergen Lock <nox@jelal.kn-bremen.de>
To:        alc@cs.rice.edu
Cc:        Attilio Rao <attilio@freebsd.org>, alc@freebsd.org, freebsd-stable@freebsd.org, John Baldwin <jhb@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: 8.0-RC1 panic attaching ppc

In article <4AC0F173.10300@cs.rice.edu> you write:
>Daniel O'Connor wrote:
>> On Sun, 27 Sep 2009, Alan Cox wrote:
>>
>>> Ok, now I can explain what is happening.  The kernel is using 1GB
>>> pages to implement the direct map.  Unfortunately, pmap_extract()
>>> doesn't know how to handle a 1GB page mapping.  pmap_kextract() only
>>> works by an "accident" of its different implementation.  In other
>>> words, it should not be relied upon to work either.
>>>
>>> Please revert whatever patch John gave you and try the attached
>>> patch. It simply disables the use of 1GB page mapping by the direct
>>> map.
>>>

>> Your patch fixes (works around?) the problem.
>>

>Thanks.  I've committed the patch.
>
>Yes, it's a work around.  Fortunately(?), on my test machine, I don't
>see any measurable effect from disabling the use of 1GB pages by the
>direct map.

Btw I had reported the same issue back in June already,
	http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-current/2009-June/008709.html
and yes your patch fixes it for me too.  Thanx!

 (And of the other two issues mentioned in the next posting,
	http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-current/2009-June/008711.html
the tdq_notify trap appears to be solved, but the ata issue was never
fixed, I had to work around it by putting the affected optical drive
on a pcie sata card driven by siis(4).)

 Cheers,
	Juergen