Date:      Mon, 23 Feb 2009 11:31:20 -0600
From:      Robert Noland <rnoland@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Alexander Frolkin <avf@eldamar.org.uk>
Cc:        freebsd-x11@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Problem upgrading from X.org 1.4 to 1.5

--=-hBMDXGiygcH9aM+9f8vz

On Mon, 2009-02-23 at 11:36 +0100, Alexander Frolkin wrote:
> Hi,
>=20
> I'm not sure this is specific to FreeBSD, but here goes...  I upgraded
> xorg-server 1.4.2 to 1.5.3 yesterday, and then spent all day trying to
> get the new X server to work until finally giving up and downgrading
> back to 1.4.2.
>=20
> I have a dual head setup --- an AGP Radeon 9200 and a PCI S3 Savage4.
> The config which works fine with 1.4 gives either garbled output on the
> Savage card or doesn't initialise it at all (depending on the NoInt10
> option).
>=20
> What is particularly interesting is the following excerpt from
> Xorg.0.log.  First, the 1.4 version:
>=20
> -----
> (II) SAVAGE(1): VESA BIOS detected
> (II) SAVAGE(1): VESA VBE Version 2.0
> (II) SAVAGE(1): VESA VBE Total Mem: 8192 kB
> (II) SAVAGE(1): VESA VBE OEM: S3 Incorporated. Savage4
> (II) SAVAGE(1): VESA VBE OEM Software Rev: 1.1
> (II) SAVAGE(1): VESA VBE OEM Vendor: S3 Incorporated.
> (II) SAVAGE(1): VESA VBE OEM Product: Savage4
> (II) SAVAGE(1): VESA VBE OEM Product Rev: Rev B
> -----
>=20
> And now the 1.5 version:
>=20
> -----
> (II) SAVAGE(1): VESA BIOS detected
> (II) SAVAGE(1): VESA VBE Version 2.0
> (II) SAVAGE(1): VESA VBE Total Mem: 131072 kB
> (II) SAVAGE(1): VESA VBE OEM: ATI RADEON RV280
> (II) SAVAGE(1): VESA VBE OEM Software Rev: 1.0
> (II) SAVAGE(1): VESA VBE OEM Vendor: ATI Technologies Inc.
> (II) SAVAGE(1): VESA VBE OEM Product: V280
> (II) SAVAGE(1): VESA VBE OEM Product Rev: 01.00
> -----
>=20
> The 1.4 version is correct, while the 1.5 version shows the info for my
> other card!  If you ask me, this is completely screwed up. :-)  I guess
> it also explains why 1.5 doesn't work for me.
>=20
> Has anyone else come across this problem?  Is this a known bug?  Any
> suggestions? :-)
>=20
> My xorg.conf and the logs from 1.4 and 1.5 are attached.

Multicard setups don't work now.  In server 1.4, the server managed all
the pci resources and handled arbitration between different cards with a
big hammer approach.  server 1.5 uses libpciaccess to deal with the pci
bus.  This is also an issue on linux afaik.  Something needs to handle
arbitration between the cards (libpciaccess isn't the right place).  We
need to deal with this in the kernel somewhere, but I haven't figured
out quite the right place yet.

robert.