Date:      Sat, 26 Mar 2011 01:03:28 -0400
From:      "J. Hellenthal" <jhell@DataIX.net>
To:        David Demelier <demelier.david@gmail.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Stable <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: .zfs directory: snapshot: Bad file descriptor

On Fri, 25 Mar 2011 13:10, demelier.david@ wrote:
> On 21/03/2011 12:23, Olaf Seibert wrote:
>> On my production system (still 8.1, I haven't had time yet to upgrade to
>> 8.2) I have a ZFS. Nightly I make snapshots of each filesystem in it.
>> Suddenly, one of the file systems has no snapshots any more:
>>
>> $ ls -l /tank/vol-fourquid-1/.zfs
>> ls: snapshot: Bad file descriptor
>> total 0
>> $ ls -l /tank/vol-fourquid-1/.zfs/snapshot
>> ls: /tank/vol-fourquid-1/.zfs/snapshot: Bad file descriptor
>>
>> Snapshots in other file systems seem ok, for example:
>>
>> $ ls -l /home/local/.zfs
>> total 0
>> dr-xr-xr-x  9 root  wheel  9 Oct 21  2009 snapshot/
>> $ ls -l /home/local/.zfs/snapshot/
>> total 32
>> drwxr-xr-x  48 root  vb  48 Apr 19  2010 friday/
>> drwxr-xr-x  48 root  vb  48 Apr 19  2010 monday/
>> drwxr-xr-x  48 root  vb  48 Apr 19  2010 saturday/
>> drwxr-xr-x  48 root  vb  48 Apr 19  2010 sunday/
>> drwxr-xr-x  48 root  vb  48 Apr 19  2010 thursday/
>> drwxr-xr-x  48 root  vb  48 Apr 19  2010 tuesday/
>> drwxr-xr-x  48 root  vb  48 Apr 19  2010 wednesday/
>>
>> zpool status thinks all is ok:
>>
>> $ zpool status
>>    pool: tank
>>   state: ONLINE
>> status: The pool is formatted using an older on-disk format.  The pool can
>>          still be used, but some features are unavailable.
>> action: Upgrade the pool using 'zpool upgrade'.  Once this is done, the
>>          pool will no longer be accessible on older software versions.
>>   scrub: none requested
>> config:
>>
>>          NAME        STATE     READ WRITE CKSUM
>>          tank        ONLINE       0     0     0
>>            raidz2    ONLINE       0     0     0
>>              da0     ONLINE       0     0     0
>>              da1     ONLINE       0     0     0
>>              da2     ONLINE       0     0     0
>>              da3     ONLINE       0     0     0
>>              da4     ONLINE       0     0     0
>>              da5     ONLINE       0     0     0
>>
>> errors: No known data errors
>>
>> How worried should I be about corruption anyway, say if I unmount and
>> remount the affected file system?

At this point I wouldn't be to worried yet, Its for a snapshot directory
and as I see you are running cross versions here, not judging that is
what is making the difference or the cause of this but can you attempt the
following and report back.

Provide output from: zfs upgrade ; zpool upgrade ; zdb

run: zpool scrub tank

And add to the report back the output of: zpool status -v

PS: There was a problem with the .zfs directories somewhere around 8.0 &
8.1 that could cause a crash, core dump and this was fixed in stable
before 8.2-RELEASE. I would highly suggest you update your system to a
kernel from 8.2-RELEASE to test this as the problem may just up and
disappear before your eyes. Even if you just have to extract a 8.2 kernel
into boot/testkernel it may be well worth it.

> I don't know how to manage ZFS filesystem but usually on UFS file system when
> you have a bad file descriptor you must run fsck(8) manually to check up the
> disk.
>
> Cheers,

- --

  Regards,